Sailing ship Alexander von Humboldt II
The Alexander von Humboldt II is a German sailing ship, more precisely a barque. The ship is 65 meters long and 10 meters wide. The Alexander von Humboldt II was launched on May 25, 2011.
The tall ship Alexander von Humboldt II has had green sails since 2015. The sails were financed by Bremen’s Beck’s brewery. The sailing ship with the distinctive green sails can be seen regularly in the brewery’s commercials. But the Alexander von Humboldt II is of course much more than just an advertising medium for a brewery. The German Foundation Sail Training is the owner and operator of the tall ship. The operating concept and purpose of the foundation is to teach traditional seamanship. This happens around 340 days a year on the world’s seas such as the North Sea and the Baltic Sea, but also in the Atlantic and the Caribbean Sea.
Since the beginning of 2020, the German Navy has also been using the Alexander von Humboldt II. Since the sail training ship Gorch Fock is out of action for a long time, the Navy uses the tall ship with the green sails to train officer candidates.
Home port of the Alexander von Humboldt II is Bremerhaven. The sailing ship also regularly takes part in major annual maritime events such as the windjammer parade in Kiel during Kiel Week, the Hanse Sail Rostock or the Port Birthday Hamburg.
Impressions of the sailing ship Alexander von Humboldt II
News about ships & ferries in the Kiel blog
- Lürssen Megayacht 1601 in the Kiel Canal on the way to test drives in the Baltic Sea Posted on: 18. March 2023
- Mega yacht "Project Cosmos" arrived in Kiel Posted on: 10. March 2023
- Kiel Canal reopened to ship traffic after 13 days of closure Posted on: 3. January 2023
- Kiel Week Windjammer Parade 2023 Posted on: 30. December 2022
- Kiel Canal: Last day for the MS Schwentine on the Holtenau-Wik route Posted on: 13. December 2022
- Museum cargo ship Cap San Diego visiting Kiel Posted on: 12. August 2022
- Christening of the MS Wik on June 28th, 2022: Third plug-in hybrid ferry of the Kiel Towing and Ferry Company Posted on: 29. June 2022
- That was the Kiel Week Windjammer Parade 2022 Posted on: 26. June 2022
- Pentecost Sunday at the Kiellinie Kiel Posted on: 6. June 2022
- Kiel Week Open Ship Naval Base Kiel 24.6.2022 Posted on: 12. May 2022
- Kiel Week Open Ship Naval Base Kiel 19.6.2022 Posted on: 12. May 2022
- Naval Base Kiel: Open Ship during the Kiel Week 2022 again on three days Posted on: 12. May 2022
- Cruise season Kiel 2022 started with cruise ship MS Hamburg Posted on: 21. April 2022
- Kiel Canal closed after accident Posted on: 29. March 2022
- Sail training ship Gorch Fock back in the home port of Kiel Posted on: 25. March 2022
- AIDAcosma leaves Kiel Posted on: 23. February 2022
- Ride on the fjord ferry from the Bahnhofsbrücke to the Reventlou pier Posted on: 23. February 2022
- Cruise ship AIDAcosma arrived in Kiel Posted on: 18. February 2022
- Kiel Canal closed to ship traffic for several hours after the accident near Rendsburg Posted on: 8. February 2022
- Ferry connection Kiel-Oslo: Color Line will resume ferry operations from mid-February 2022 Posted on: 3. February 2022