Opening of the sailing regattas in Kiel-Schilksee on June 18th, 2022 with Ulf Kampfer and Hans-Werner Tovar on the stage at the Schilksee Olympic Center early on Saturday afternoon.
After the Kiel week was postponed from June to September in the two years 2020 and 2021, everyone involved is happy that the Kieler Woche 2022 and thus also the Kiel sailing regattas can take place again in June this year. The fact that the Kiel sailing regattas are the highlight for numerous sailing athletes during the Kiel Week is also shown this year by the record-breaking number of active sailors. With around 4,000 participants from over 40 nations, exciting sailing regattas and competitions will take place again this year, of course also in the Olympic disciplines.
Official opening of the Kiel Regatta 2022 in Schilksee
In glorious sunshine and summer temperatures, the 2022 sailing regattas were officially opened on Saturday on the stage in the Schilksee Olympic Center by Lord Mayor Ulf Kampfer and City President Hans-Werner Tovar. Also present on the stage were Head of Sport of Kiel Week Dirk Ramhorst and Wolfram N. Diener, CEO of Messe Düsseldorf. In addition, all six medal winners from the Olympic Games in Tokyo were also on stage. At the end of the opening ceremony, all guests on stage received a Kiel Week poster from the year they were born.
Sailing regattas in 35 disciplines
A total of 35 disciplines will be sailed during the Kiel Week 2022, including traditional regattas. Below is a brief overview of the various regattas taking place this year on the Kiel Fjord and the Baltic Sea:
- 06/18/2022 to 06/19/2022: Eel regatta (Aalregatta, from Kiel to Eckernförde and back again)
- 06/18/2022 to 06/21/2022: International part of sailing competitions
- 06/18/2022 to 06/21/2022: Folkeboot Gold Cup
- 06/20/2022 to 06/22/2022: Kiel Cup
- 06/22/2022 to 06/26/2022: Olympic part sailing competitions
- 06/22/2022 to 06/26/2022: ASO 11th Musto Skiff World Championship
- 06/23/2022 to 06/24/2022: Senate Prize (Doublehand Regatta, to Schleimünde and back)
- 06/24/2022 to 06/25/2022: Silver ribbon (“Silbernes Band”, long-distance and night regatta from Kiel around Langeland and back)
- June 25, 2022: Kiel Week windjammer parade